The 2019 GMC Terrain is a compact, five-seat SUV that competes with the Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V.
The 2019 GMC Terrain’s second generation was introduced with the 2018 model year. For 2019 the Terrain gets a new Black Edition for the SLE and SLT trims that comes with 19-inch gloss black aluminum wheels and dark exterior accents as well as a Chrome Package on the SLT trim. Three new colors – Blue Emerald Metallic, Sedona Metallic and Smokey Quartz Metallic – are also available.
Here’s a quick outline of the 2019 GMC Terrain’s specifications.
- The 2019 GMC Terrain is built on GM’s D2 platform, which is also used in the Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Volt and the similar Chevrolet Equinox.
- The 2019 GMC Terrain starts at $25,000 plus a $1,195 destination charge.
- Top-of-the-line Denali models start at $38,995 plus a $1,195 destination charge and can top $49,900 before any dealer-installed accessories.
- The 2018 Terrain started at $24,995 plus a $995 destination charge.
- The 2019 GMC Terrain is available in four trims: SL, SLE, SLT and Denali.
- The range-topping Denali model comes equipped with 19-inch machined aluminum wheels, LED headlights, a hands-free power programmable liftgate and a Bose premium 7-speaker system.
- All four trims come with a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty. The powertrain is warrantied for five years or 60,000 miles.
- 17-inch silver-painted aluminum wheels are standard on the SL and SLE trims, with 18-inch machined aluminum wheels standard on the SLT.
- The 2019 GMC Terrain has a 107.3-inch wheelbase, a 182.3-inch overall length and a 72.4-inch width.
- The base engine in the 2019 GMC Terrain is a 170-horsepower 1.5-liter turbo 4-cylinder that produces 203 pound-feet of torque. Optional engines include a 252-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder that produces 260 pound-feet of torque and a 137-horsepower and a 1.6-liter diesel 4-cylinder engine that produces 240 pound-feet of torque.
- The diesel engine is B20 biodiesel compatible.
- All three engines offer automatic stop/start.
- No hybrid, plug-in hybrid or full-electric powertrains are available.
- Front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive are available.
- Different transmissions are used in the 2019 GMC Terrain based on the engine. The diesel engine uses a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2.0-liter gas engine uses a nine-speed automatic, while the 1.5-liter gas engine uses a different nine-speed automatic transmission (the Hydra-Matic 9T45 versus the Hydra-Matic 9T50 in the 2.0-liter).
- Maximum towing capacity for a 2019 GMC Terrain is 3,500 pounds.
- EPA fuel-economy estimates for the 2019 GMC Terrain vary depending on fuel type and if the model is AWD or FWD. The most efficient model is the FWD diesel, which gets 28 mpg in city driving, 39 mpg in highway driving and 32 mpg combined. The least efficient is the AWD 2.0-liter, which gets 21 mpg in city driving, 26 mpg in highway driving and 23 mpg combined.
- All 2019 GMC Terrain models are equipped with standard airbags, including dual-stage frontal and thorax side-impact airbags, roof-rail side-impact airbags and front and rear outboard seating airbags.
- Standard safety equipment also includes hill-descent control, StabiliTrak and a rear-vision camera.
- Optional safety and driver-assistance technology includes rear-cross traffic alert, lane-change alert with side blind zone alert and a haptic safety-alert seat.
- The standard infotainment system includes a six-speaker AM/FM stereo system with a 7-inch touch screen that is compatible with SiriusXM, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- The Denali trim comes with an 8-inch GMC Infotainment System with Navigation and a seven-speaker Bose premium audio system.
- The 2019 GMC Terrain is 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capable and offers wireless charging for PMA- and Qi- compatible mobile devices.
Comfort & Convenience
- The 2019 GMC Terrain comes with four USB data ports standard, as well as an auxiliary input jack. Two of the USB ports (one type-A and one type-C) are in the front storage bin, and two more are in the rear of the center console.
- There are two 12-volt auxiliary power outlets, one in the front storage bin and another in the rear cargo area.
- Keyless open and keyless start are standard in the 2019 GMC Terrain.
- A power programmable liftgate is available.
- Cloth-covered four-way manual front bucket seats are standard, as is Rear Seat Reminder, which helps remind the driver to check the back seats before leaving the vehicle.
- The heated front bucket seats in the Denali trim are appointed in perforated leather. The driver’s seat features eight-way power and two-way power lumbar support.