The 2019 Hyundai Nexo is a hydrogen fuel cell-powered crossover that is available only in California given the limited availability of hydrogen refueling stations.
It competes in the fuel-cell market with the Toyota Mirai and Honda Clarity Fuel Cell sedans.
The Hyundai Nexo, new for 2019, is Hyundai’s second fuel cell SUV for the U.S. market, following the Tucson Fuel Cell that was sold from 2014 until 2018 (as a 2017 model year vehicle).
Here’s a quick outline of the 2019 Hyundai Nexo’s specifications.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo is built on Hyundai’s first fully dedicated fuel cell vehicle platform.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo costs $58,300 plus a $1,045 destination charge.
- The higher-end Blue models costs $$61,800 plus a $1,045 destination charge.
- Other than exterior paint colors and interior trim colors, which are all zero-cost options, the Nexo has no optional accessories or packages.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo is available in two trims: Blue and Limited.
- The Blue trim comes equipped with 17-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights and a regenerative braking system.
- The Limited trim includes 19-inch alloy wheels, a powered sunroof, ventilated front seats and a 440-watt, eight-speaker audio system.
- All models come with a five-year/60,000-mile limited vehicle warranty, a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty and five years of roadside assistance, regardless of mileage.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo has a 109.8-inch wheelbase, a 183.9-inch overall length and a 73.2-inch width.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo uses a 161-horsepower electric motor that produces 291 pound-feet of torque.
- The overall system power output is 135 kW, 95 kW from the fuel cell stack and 40 kW from the battery.
- The tanks can hold 6.33 kilograms – 41.4 gallons – of hydrogen.
- No hybrid, plug-in hybrid or liquid-fuel powertrains are available.
- Front-wheel drive is standard on both trims.
- The Nexo offers three selectable drive modes: Comfort, Eco and Eco Plus.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo uses a single-speed reduction-gear transmission.
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo is not rated for towing.
- EPA fuel economy estimates for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles like the Nexo are given in MPGe, or a miles-per-gallon-of-gasoline equivalent. The 2019 Hyundai Nexo Blue gets 65 MPGe in city driving, 58 MPGe in highway driving and 61 MPGe in combined driving. The Limited trim gets 59 MPGe in city driving, 54 MPGe in highway driving and 61 MPGe in combined driving.
- The Nexo Blue is rated to go 380 miles per full tank, and the Limited is rated for 354 miles.
- Refueling the Nexo at a compatible station can take as little as five minutes.
- All 2019 Hyundai Nexo models are equipped with standard airbags, including driver and front passenger front- and seat-mounted side-impact airbags and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors.
- Standard safety equipment also includes forward collision-avoidance assist, blind-spot collision warning, rear cross-traffic collision warning and lane-follow assist with lane-departure warning.
- Extra safety and driver-assistance technology on the Limited trim includes blind-view monitor and front and rear parking-distance warning.
- The standard infotainment system includes a 12.3-inch color touch screen with AM/FM/Sirius radio and onboard navigation that is compatible with Bluetooth, MP3s, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The screen also provides the display for the standard rear-vision camera.
- A 440-watt audio system with a Krell eight-channel external amp and eight speakers is standard on the Limited trim.
COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
- The 2019 Hyundai Nexo has two, 2.0-amp USB ports and standard wireless phone charging for Qi-compatible devices.
- Other standard power outlets include a 12-volt outlet in the front and a 110-volt outlet in the second row.
- Three years of the Hyundai BlueLink Connected Car System are included.
- An eight-way, heated power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and a six-way power front passenger seat, also heated, are standard. The Limited trim comes with ventilated seats.
- Other standard convenience features include smart cruise control with stop-and-go capability, remote keyless entry, proximity key entry and automatic headlights with high-beam assist.