Spy Shots: 2021 Ford F-150 Next Generation Truck

May 09, 2019 by Ryan ZumMallen, @Zoomy575M

Ford Motor Co. is starting to test the next generation of its F-150 pickup truck on public roads near its corporate headquarters.

Spy photographers spotted a prototype of the 2021 F-150 on the streets of Dearborn, Mich., this week. Expect the light-duty truck to debut next year.

The 2021 Ford F-150 will be the most significant upgrade since the introduction of the aluminum-bodied 2015 model. Though it is a new generation, the 2021 F-150 will mostly be an evolution of the current version rather than a dramatic departure. It is expected to offer new styling and engine options among other changes.

HEAVY CAMOUFLAGE

The vehicle in photos is heavily camouflaged, with its exterior body panels in disguise. But it’s obvious it’s a crew cab, the most popular configuration among light-duty pickups, with running boards and a short bed.

2021 Ford F-150

The vehicle tested is a crew cab with a short bed. (Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

Engine choices in the 2021 F-150 likely will include updated versions of the turbocharged EcoBoost engines in current models. And the 3-liter turbodiesel V6 introduced in 2018 could carry over.

Ford could replace its 5-liter V8 with a more efficient 4.8-liter V8. Also, the automaker is developing hybrid, plug-in hybrid and fully electric versions of the F-150.

The F-150 is the light-duty member of Ford’s F-Series line of full-size trucks that make up the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. market. Sales of F-Series trucks rose 1.4 percent to 909,000 vehicles in 2018.

BIGGEST CHUNK OF SALES

Analysts estimate that light-duty trucks like the F-150 account for about 70 percent of full-size truck sales for Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Heavy-duty models such as the F-250 and F-350 Super Duty make up the other 30 percent.

2021 Ford F-150

Ford’s F-series trucks, including the F-150, sold more than 900,000 units in 2018. (Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

GM and FCA introduced new versions of their light-duty trucks in 2018. The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 use lightweight materials to shave up to 450 pounds of curb weight compared with previous models. The Ram 1500 features dazzling interior design and advanced safety technology.

The 2021 F-150 will be Ford’s first attempt to counter the advancements made by its top rivals.

Ryan ZumMallen March 12, 2019
Trucks.com took a hands-on look at the functionality of all three new heavy-duty pickup trucks from Ford, General Motors and Ram.

Learn more about Specs & Pricing

Research

Select a model

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

×

Thanks for visiting Trucks.com!

Please take a moment to answer two short questions to help us deliver the best experience for you.

Take Our Survey

Subscribe to our mailing lists

Choose one or more topics:
x