Written by Bill Thomas, vice president of Burnham Benefits, an employee benefits consulting and brokerage firm headquartered in Irvine, Calif. This is one in a series of periodic guest columns by industry thought leaders.

Bill Thomas headhshot

Bill Thomas

In our society of ultimate convenience, we don’t need to travel far to find a wide array of consumer products. Many of us get what we want by clicking a few buttons on our smartphones or computers. These speedy and efficient consumption practices, however, are highly dependent upon a process that requires a massive amount of resources and energy. There must be an ample supply of goods at warehouses and outlets across the country ready to ship to American consumers. That means we need trucks – lots of trucks – and those trucks need drivers. Which is why the truck driver shortage is such an important issue.

Just about every product that ends up on a shelf in a store or warehouse in America is delivered via truck. Trucks accounted for 70.1 percent of domestic freight tonnage last year, according to the American Trucking Associations. For now, there is no other realistic way of delivering these goods in the quantities needed and according to the timelines consumers expect.

The pressure on the trucking industry to help satisfy America’s growing consumption increases every year. Between now and 2027, the amount of freight moved by trucks is expected to jump by 27 percent. Meeting that demand won’t be an easy task for the nation’s trucking companies, especially since America’s supply of drivers continues to dwindle. The ATA estimates that the industry will need more than 96,000 new drivers annually for the next 10 years to keep pace with consumer spending. Very few industries – especially those at the heart of the economy – face such a daunting challenge.

The trucking company leaders who face this unparalleled staffing crisis are seeking to tackle it head on. Solving the looming truck driver shortage is the most important problem in the industry, according to a survey of leaders from 2,200 trucking companies. By more than 2 to 1, trucking company representatives said that attracting and retaining new driver talent is their most crucial strategic initiative – far outweighing concerns about other issues faced by trucking companies, such as regulatory compliance, risk management and revenue growth.

American consumers are likely to experience empty shelves at local stores and long delays in purchasing items they want and need – problems typically found in other regions of the world –  if the trucking industry does not address this issue soon.

Transportation companies are attacking the driver shortage in innovative and cost-effective ways. More than a third of trucking companies are increasing investments in their employee recruiting processes in hopes of attracting new talent. They are using social media to attract potential staff members, partnering with truck driver schools to provide immediate access to new graduates, and reaching out to the U.S. military branches to recruit recently retired military personnel. At the same time, they are improving their human resources functions to speed up the hiring, training and retention of staff members. Employers are increasing salaries and benefits. They are paying new employee signing bonuses as well as paying current staff referral fees and staff retention bonuses after drivers have stayed with the company for a certain period of time.

For example, Richard Coyle, president of Devine Intermodal, a large California trucking firm based in West Sacramento, has made a conscious decision to pay well above industry standards in order to attract and retain drivers. Devine pays its drivers 61 cents per mile when the industry standard is 50 cents per mile. Devine also rewards workers when they recruit new drivers. And the firm provides its employees with richer-than-average health benefits.

Trucking firms also are learning that there are actions they can take upfront to better ensure driver retention. These include providing longer employee-orientation periods, appointing driver liaisons/mentors, performing initial and ongoing staff surveys, conducting pre-hire employee personality assessments and completing more comprehensive pre-employment screenings.

Not only are these methods improving employee retention rates, they are helping to cultivate a more professional and dedicated workforce. Many carriers are being rewarded with a cohort of employees who are more likely to comply with regulations, value safety and help ensure company security. These more thorough pre-employment screenings allow trucking companies to conduct expanded assessments of candidates’ motor vehicle records, previous employment, overall health, drug and alcohol use and criminal records. By using these screening methods, employers are hoping to see a dual benefit – hiring and retaining better employees.

Unfortunately, the “age factor” is another challenge for the trucking industry. Employees of trucking companies are older than their counterparts in other industries. The median age of an over-the-road truck driver in the U.S. is 49. The average age for all U.S. workers is 42. This demographic fact creates two negatives for trucking. Older employees retire sooner, which can stunt employee expansion efforts and increase the truck driver shortage. As a group, older employees suffer from more frequent and more complicated health concerns, which can lead to work absences, inefficient job performance and increased costs.

Addressing the health and well-being challenges uniquely faced by the trucking industry has forced firms to get creative. In addition to being older, truck drivers tend to suffer more from obesity and its complications than the average American. According to a recent Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association report, 86 percent of American truck drivers are considered to be either overweight or obese. Moreover, many drivers suffer from comorbid complications such as sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes and decreased life expectancy. The life expectancy for a driver in the U.S. is 61 years – 17 years less than the national average.

Many forward-thinking companies have begun to see their employee benefits programs as an additional tool they can use to impact their bottom line. Firms such as Devine Intermodal have even implemented wellness programs that encourage employees to improve their health, through providing information on healthy eating and healthy lifestyle practices.

Other carriers have gone a step further by providing employees with incentives to engage in healthy activities. Hansen & Adkins Auto Transport, a Los Alamitos, Calif., auto hauler, has designed its employee benefits program to approach health in two ways. The company provides its employees and their family members – at very little cost to the employee – with superior health insurance coverage for those who become sick or injured. It also has committed significant funding to recognizing and rewarding employees who engage in activities that improve their health.

Many trucking companies have also found it helpful to use the services of benefits consultants including my firm, Burnham Benefits, and others such as Commercial Carriers Insurance Agency. These businesses specialize in improving the health and well-being of trucking industry employees. They help carriers develop a healthier and more productive staff, improve employee retention levels and decrease insurance costs.

America’s trucking industry hopes to properly address its staffing crisis. In the meantime, the truck driver shortage is a potential problem for all of us who wish to continually consume products immediately and with few limitations. Without a solution, our consumer society and general way of life could be drastically impacted.

Editor’s Note: Bill Thomas is vice president of Burnham Benefits. Prior to joining Burnham, Thomas was a partner at RSI Employers Source Insurance Services. He has a master of healthcare administration degree from Loma Linda University.

1. THomas

Total BS I have been hearing this for 30 years. If there were a real shortage wages would come up.

• Brian

Not necessarily. There are a few things that could happen to adjust for the shortage. Most notably, a decrease in the demand for labor. If trucking companies can find a way to employ less drivers, they don’t have to raise wages to fix the shortage. Consider the investments trucking companies are making in autonomous/semi-autonomous vehicles. Requires less drivers, yet tonnage doesn’t decrease.

2. Robert

It’s all well and good that the trucking companies are working toward attracting and keeping drivers, but that’s just the first step. The industry also needs to do something about the extremely poor treatment that drivers have to put up with at shippers and receivers docks. From the simple things like not being able to use the restroom to excessive wait times at docks that are largely uncompensated. Also if the industry would remind its customers that this isn’t the 1930s anymore and drivers can’t and won’t be pushed around and if company recruiters were much more honest about how the OTR lifestyle really is this would all go towards helping companies keeping and recruiting drivers.

3. Gene

Robert, Thomas, in my Humble opinion, you are both Right.I have always prescribed to the theory..You cant sing the Blue’s unless You have Lived the Blues. Data, and Analytics, is in the Eye’s of the Beholder…The Boot’s on the Ground and Management, have got to come to the table, and be sincere in addressing, and Fixing issues from the BOTTOM UP….NOT…..THE BOTTOM DOWN.

4. Socs

I was driving for 20 years, I did from pier to fuel tanks, from flat beds to car carrier and I got fed up with the industry, I only saw my pay check shrinking year after year, for me to work a descent check to pay mortgage I have to work 70 hours a week them some wonder why the blood pressure problem, colesterol an diabetes and the social disconnection with family living to work in my case at 400 and coming back to eat and sleep after 14 hour to do the same thing the next day.
    I love to be behind the wheel and I thing that was what keep me in but enough is enough, no compensation for long periods of work, no respect for our work, increase in companies policies and regulation as well as Dot regulation I said good bye!!! I decided to go to college no hope in trucking, things are not going to get any better companies treat truck driver like they don’t need you and if we all stop the economy dies worts that it did in 1929. God bless all my fellow truck driver..

• Vance

I hear you. I got into trucking with the same optimism as every other new driver, I was 19 in 1995. For a young driver I was very independent, responsible, with plenty of commonsense being I could adapt quickly on the fly… I loved driving for the first 2 1/2 years. Coast to coast, Canada and the USA. Until I realized everything in your posting/comment. Total lack of respect of not only drivers, but their “TIME”. Carriers, shippers, receivers, CUSTOMS (IF I ONLY HAD A DOLLAR FOR EVERY HOUR OF MY TIME THEY WASTED). You name it, from A to Z, Total Lack of Respect, ironically, towards the group of workers that have a key responsibility in the making of A to Z’s PAYCHECKS!!! Luckily I realized this at 21 and not 51. It slowly sapped the enthusiasm I had at the beginning. I began crunching numbers n that’s when I realized, I’m gonna drive my life away for a LITTLE raise every 5-7 yrs of hard driving, only for it to be eaten up by inflation (rise of cost of living), subjected to restaurant food for the next 40yrs, n you can eat like a rabbit (been there done that!)YOUR GONNA GET FATTER BECAUSE YOUR CONSTANTLY SITTING. No offense to any drivers out there, I know from experience you’re some of the hardest working people in the country ( Only nobody Cares…) sad but true. Honestly I began noticing drivers 15-20yrs older than me at the time. I couldn’t accept the working conditions for the toll this job take on your body. These people were way over weight, understandably an occupational hazard, n companies preaching LIFE LONG JOB, TOP HEALTH PLAN, EXCELLENT RETIREMENT BENEFITS!!! All the praise in the world for those who do this job. Sadly here’s my breakdown of these company slogans: 1-you won’t have a long life in this job 2- they’re preaching a top health plan, you know why? There’s nothing your body will need more in your late 40’s in this career because with the medical issues you’ll face n medications you’ll need this job don’t pay enough for you to afford it anyway ( they know this…), if your anticipating a hefty retirement here’s the kick in the face (if your young, or young enough, be glad I’m giving you the heads up now instead of wasting another minute in that mobile coffin you’re driving: average life expectancy of the U S of A TRUCK DRIVER; 61 😷😪😛👎. The second you have a chance to kick this job to the curb, n keep your hard earned money out of the coffers of those blood sucking D.O.T cash grabbing MOFO’S I want you to to this with the trucking industry : 👏 wipe your hands of it and in turn keep or get back your health. Do something else, anything. Get 2 jobs if you have to. If your gonna work as hard as you do n be among the working poor, at least eat home cooked food, spend time with those you love, n sleep in the bed your paying for…Let those corporate A Holes figure out the driver shortage, because their greedy ass’s created it. For all the hardship they place on their drivers lives while they’re home in their bed; LET THEM CHOKE ON THEIR SOON TO BE SEDENTARY FREIGHT!!! If this comment changed the mind of one individual from choosing long haul, LTL, Truckload, or oversize trucking as a career, it’s served it’s purpose.

• Russell

Well said,your absolutely right,been in this industry for 28 years ,no more trucking for me,really amazes me how disrespectful people are towards drivers,read a bumper sticker recently,if you don’t like trucks stop buying things problem solved.anyway best to you and take care,

5. Craig

B.s making less money than in the 1970 more hours dot mandates regulations you will not make money and you will live in truck and lose time with family I’m out

6. Lua Shelton

Amen! Right you all are! I’m a 34 year veteran of this “industrial slavery” racket, otherwise known as trucking. Come the mandated electronic logs date that’s looming up, I’m outta here.No longer can drivers thread an impossible needle (the no parking problem, the fools who spec fleets with death trap super single tires, the El-cheapo DEF era trucks that are always paired with Tripac auxiliary heaters doomed to fall you in dangerous weather temperatures, the madcap fines and financial liabilities to the driver, the sciatica, the peeing in puss jugs, as all road drivers must reconcile to do…. I’m done. I’ve watched the women in the office trot dowon the hall with dignity to the real toilets.The earn same or more than.I!My turn. I’m starting a cleaning biz. It’ll suck. But I won’t jackknife in high wind at night.

7. gopal shukla

After 26 years of journalism, I now intend to make a new and big decision in my life … I want to be a truck driver now and I want to feed my family by earning not only by becoming a truck driver, but the most beautiful of the world And one of the big countries America also want to see …
    In this connection, I have been seeking every small piece of information about truck driving for a long time … and in this episode I was watching your company’s promotional film in the past, in which you will not only be used in the company Referring to the merchandise of the truck, but also mentioning the programs run by you to make the driver’s life happy.
    That film has made me so impressed that now I am even more excited to do this work..and in this case I am trying to write you this mail.
    Make a hobby to work, then there is no job burden…Something similar is mine, which I want to apply, is only one condition…I can get help
    I am eager to know if you have any program to teach a foreign driver first and then to give him a driver’s job here. That’s why I am asking because if there is such a program then I would like to be part of that program …The advantage of both of them in one stroke can be possible … I will get a job in canada … and make you a true and good working person.
    You can also take double advantage of my success … through your promotional films, you can show people around the world how far and far your company thinks … and also training the foreigner by giving them training Works to provide employment.
    Being a journalist, I also know that at present, the world is facing the problem of lack of drivers in the world, and especially … According to one estimate, only about 60 thousand truck drivers are needed in the US and Canada. And the truck company needs good and capable drivers … but they are not getting … In this way I can also say that I can fill one place in this empty place
    One very important thing, I want to come to Canada to work but my family will stay here only in India. It will be benefited by the same company in which I will work…Because then I will not have to return home early in the evening nor the problem that I can not refuse my weekend with my family …In such a case, if the hours of work increase, then its impact will be on my earnings and the company’s business, of course it will be good.
    gopal

8. andrew

It’s the same in the UK ,never home crap trucks no respect and nobody wants to do it anymore