Vote For Which of 5 USPS Prototypes Should Be The Next Mail Truck

March 09, 2018 by Carly Schaffner, @carlyschaffner

Five prototype delivery vans are undergoing full-scale testing by the U.S Postal Service as it gets ready to spend more the $6 billion on the next mail truck contract.

The Postal Service will use one or more of these models to replace as many as 180,000 vehicles in its aging fleet of 215,000 trucks. The agency is keeping mum on the details but Trucks.com hunted down the prototypes.

After spotting all five models during road tests, Trucks.com has heard from many readers – some mail carriers, some not – about what amenities they would like to see in the Postal Service’s next generation mail delivery truck. Which truck would you vote for? Cast your vote below.

Keep in mind that the Postal Service wants an operating life of 18 to 20 years, right-hand steering with two-wheel drive and a driver’s-side airbag. It must also have a four-wheel drive option and ideally a van-style body with an integral cargo and cab compartment constructed of aluminum alloy or composite materials and sliding side doors. The truck must have a minimum 1,500-pound payload capacity and optional air conditioning.

Here are the choices:

VT Hackney/Workhorse

The only competitor offering a pure battery electric truck is the VT Hackney/Workhorse duo. VT Hackney, is a manufacturer of specialized truck bodies and is based in Washington, N.C. Electric work truck maker Workhorse is based in Loveland, Ohio.

Workhorse electric postal truck

Workhorse prototype electric U.S. Postal Service truck. (Photo: Trucks.com)

The chassis and powertrain of the delivery truck is expected to be closely related to the Workhorse W-15 electric pickup truck. It will have a small BMW gasoline engine that will act as a generator to extend the range of the truck. The truck, seen delivering mail in Virginia, had an attention-grabbing profile with a low-slung aerodynamic hood, oversized windows for increased visibility and an upright stance for the cargo box.

Mahindra

The U.S. division of the Indian manufacturer Mahindra is known for building right-hand drive commercial vehicles. It’s vehicle designs can typically handle rugged conditions.

Mahindra mail truck.

Mahindra mail truck. (Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

Mahindra’s truck, photographed awaiting testing in Flint, Mich., uses a 2.5-liter engine from General Motors and also will offer gasoline or mild-hybrid powertrain option, according to a National Highway Transportation Safety Administration filing. The truck is loaded with technology such as cameras near the roofline and possible forward-facing camera in the front grille. The transmission is controlled by the driver using electronic buttons on the dashboard, and there is a large infotainment screen instead of the traditional tachometer. The truck also is equipped with an electronic start/stop button for increased efficiency.

AM General

South Bend, Ind., manufacturer AM General submitted an internal-combustion engine truck with start-stop technology for improved fuel efficiency. The company, which builds the military Humvee, has an existing relationship with the USPS. It built the Dispatcher Jeep — the first civilian model of the military Jeep — which was used by the agency as a delivery vehicle into the early ’90s.

AM General postal service new truck side

AM General mail truck prototype. (Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

AM General’s mail truck prototype is equipped with digital instrument gauges and a large central display screen. It also has LED headlights and exterior cameras at the front and rear. LED strips inside the cargo space increase visibility. The company said its truck combines “highly reliable, low-maintenance, fuel-saving powertrain options and advanced safety systems into a durable, low operating-cost vehicle.”

Karsan/Morgan Olson

Karsan mail truck side

Karsan mail truck prototype.(Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

Turkish truck maker Karsan and partner Morgan Olson submitted a plug-in hybrid mail truck. The team‘s prototype has ports on either side of the truck – one looks to be for electricity and the other above the left rear wheel is a conventional gasoline port. There’s a sliding cargo door on the right side of the truck. It’s also the oddest looking of the bunch. It has a low-slung boxy hood that projects forward under the windshield, and bulky sideview mirrors are suspend from both sides of the upper cab.

Oshkosh

Oshkosh Corp. is headquartered in Oshkosh, Wis., and manufactures vehicles such as aircraft rescue and fire trucks, snow blowers and tactical vehicles. It also has several active contracts with the federal government.

Oshkosh and Ford mail truck prototype. (Photo: Brian Williams/Trucks.com)

The Oshkosh entry uses the body of a high-roofed Ford Transit van with its own modifications to the doors and cargo area. The added height would allow mail workers to stand in the cargo area while loading and unloading. The truck uses the Ford Transit headlamps and taillights as well as a similar grille shape and driver cockpit. The truck also has an internal-combustion engine. Cameras located on all side of the vehicle give the driver a better view of the truck’s surroundings and may possibly provide a 360-degree view similar to technology inside the Ford F-150 pickup truck.

1. Donald White

I’m a 24 year letter carrier in Wilmington, North Carolina. I think, from the little information given, that the Oshkosh/Ford vehicle is more practical. Looks to have more loading area for the increased parcel business.

I would also say that I’ve served in the Air Force and Army and don’t see why any vehicle purchased by the USPS wouldn’t be produced in the United States.

• Hugh

Donald, I agree with you about the design of the Oshkosh. However, I am positive that whichever vehicle is chosen will be built in the USA, just like so many foreign companies that build cars here, such as BMW, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Toyota, etc. However, I would like to see an electric engine van with a small gas engine as back-up.
      BTW – I am retied from both the USAF and USPS
      Hugh in Arlington TX

• Linda

Hugh thank you so much for your service as a USAF veteran and retired postal worker 🙂 Thats fantastic I agree with you 110 percent abput the Oshkosh Ford. There are already Oshkosh type vans on the road in bigger cities in California. I had the honor pf standing in one, as I am a rural carrier. I love the look and functionality of this van and it’s already been made. No need to spend more on a concept idea prototype. I say we use the newer vans that we already have. They even have A/C wow!! As well as a charger for the parcel scanners and a back up camera. I appreciate that there istons of room to stand up in when loading and unloading parcels from the back. I havent had the oppotunity to drive it yet but I tell you, Iove the van concept so much:)

• Randy

Not sure about practical if the post office needs to retrofit all their lots with charging stations and appropriate power service. I’m thinking usability and maintenance should be the driving factors for the selection process. The “power” for the vehicle can be expanded to electric/CNG or other means as needed or practical.

Maintenance/parts for a completely custom vehicle will be more costly then mass produced common parts.

• Erin Craig

Let me see you deliver rural OTWs in that clunker. No thanks. Oshkosh is most similar to the promaster with conversions to suit everyone’s needs. Plus visibility is at a peak with that design. Mirrors aren’t an obstruction or horribly placed. Front corner window is a super bonus. Stand and load = happy back. My vote is Oshkosh with their sneaky entry.

• Kathie

Looks too low to get through the snow in winter where I deliver mail

• Kathie

I agree! US built is what we need! The AM General looks too small and the other US built is all electric with small gas engine for extended range. We don’t have enough parking now at our station let alone having to plug them all in. 28½ years in myself.

• Janine Shackelford

Donald, I am curently an RCA in rural Va. I agree with USA made entirely! I have some issues with the Oshkosh for the area that I work. I like it for size because of the increase in the parcels that we now carry. I like the corner window for added viewing out the front. I dont care for the mirror placement. Being a carrier you probably will agree, that the mirrors tend to get hit on the mailboxes. Sometimes I have had passing vehicles pass to close and hit them. My other issue is how long the hoods are with the bumper makes it hard to make tight turns in small cul-de-sac. My vote is for the AM General, for my area it would work good the Oshkosh would be my second choice.
      I would like to know why carriers aren’t able to buy some of these RHD vehicles (other than JEEP! I don’t like jeep reliability)along with USPS? If they took orders quanity might produce better price, maybe just not finished the same.

• NORMAN LEE

I’ve been with the USPS since 1988 and tend to favor a vehicle similar to my LLV which is a good vehicle to work out of. The AM general (#3) appears similar and if it gets better gas mileage and is as maneuverable as my LLV, I’ll be able to get into the tight spots that those large pro-master vehicles can’t maneuver into. Letter carriers who have to work out of these vehicles need to have a say in the vehicles they are mandated to drive

2. Neil Black

Is this purchase before or after they are running in the green?

3. David Beck

If the push is to save money and be efficient the best vehicle is the VT Hackney for many reasons.

1. Built, Designed and engineered in the U.S.
    2. Electric with Gas boosting engine.
    3. Economical
    4. Options for other uses for the postal service.

There will be no combustion engines in 20 years that will be efficient more than this vehicle is today.

• Patrick

That’s the one I voted for as well. My route is 90% mounted delivery. All new delivery across the country is mounted delivery or in some cases cluster boxes. If you could show me that these vehicles have regenerative braking technology as well that would be a really big deal when you’re stopping and starting at 600 deliveries. Electric vehicles are tailor-made for this type of delivery.

• Randy

I am sorry, but 20 years from now? Who has a work vehicle that lasts 20 years?
      Design for today evolve to tomorrow. I love my Prius (50 MPG)!

• Jay

The PO LLVs have been on the road since 1987!! Most now have over 100,000 miles. Many on their second transmission and engine. They were GM junk new, and even worse now!! Prayers and bubble gum hold them together now.

• David

The VT Hackney seems like a no brainer here. All the others are using old technology and will be out dated before the first one goes into service.
      Research it’s partner company Workhorse group compared to some of the other companies that are already snuggled up to the government with large contracts and then decide.

4. larry

The oshkosh ford looks like the truck shape leaves the driver position to far from the side of the truck for curb side delivery?

5. Route 666

Let’s see what our many “engineers” throughout postal management can come up with, isn’t that what they are paid to do? Of the bunch shown, only the Mahindra vehicle and Oshkosh vehicles are at least appealing. Sure money is on postal management buying a contract from a family member, and getting a vehicle that will be obsolete within two years.

6. Mitchell Horn

I like the Ford/Oshkosh design most. The Karsan is just too ugly looking, and the AM General looks far too small to handle the postal services transition into a more Final Mile delivery service

7. Steve Bing

I’ve worked for the Post Office over 27 years and we will never be in the green.

8. Ronnie

I am a carrier out of Richmond Virginia, and the AM is the best way to go. Jumping up and down out of them high off the ground trucks just not good.

• Francis

if you look closer at the photos, the VT Hackney/Workhorse is also a low profile vehicle.

it seems the 3rd vehicle is very manuverable as it looks to be the shortest of the 5, but the cargo space just wouldn’t do especially during Black Friday and the Yuletide season…

as for the 2nd, 4th and 5th long and weird looking prototypes… it does have more than enough cargo space, but who needs that when you you’ll always be worrying about finding a safe and wide enough parking space for your park and loops especially in the cities or pulling-up to your curbside deliveries especially on trash day or just about any day where inconsiderate jerks who blocks mailbox accesses resides…

trust me, i know since i drive a 2-ton truck almost everyday and i’ve experienced finding a safe parking spot, so far away from my park and loop stop. it’s a lot of hassle and a great waste of time and energy, which is extremely unproductive.

anyway, these would just be my arguments in general concensus considering the different situations for different carriers, from different cities and states.

so, my vote goes to the VT Hackney / Workhorse… considering the wheelbase by looking at the distance of the rear tire to the front sliding door, i would say that they made this vehicle to be the next LLV that can get in-and-out of those tight spaces for curbside deliveries or package drop-offs (and those large windows ensure you’ll have a clearer view of your immediate surroundings). it also has enough room in the back cargo that on average, carrirs should be able to stand up right and not hurt their backs or bang their heads most of the time. plus it has a wide enough front tray space unlike the 3rd prototype (DPS, FSS and oops, sorry not enough space for the cased residuals…)

9. Paul

What works for one area doesn’t work for all. For example, an all-electric vehicle might be perfect for a larger city, but would be useless in rural America. And while gas vehicles can work for longer routes, they’re going to require more maintenance over electric vehicles in the long run, adding cost.

For city and shorter routes, either all-electric or plug-in hybrids would be best. For rural areas, either a plug-in hybrid or all-gas. I would love to say the PHEV would be the best, but if you’re only going to go 15-20 miles on electric on a 80-100 mile long (or even longer) route, then they don’t make as much sense financially.

Plus, the size that is needed for cities is probably much larger due to higher mail volume, but parking availability and size of the vehicle to park is something to consider. Out in rural areas where there isn’t much parking, it may not be as important for ability to park, but the size need not be as large due to lower mail volume. The larger the vehicle, the more fuel it takes to run and the harder it is to park. But, the smaller the vehicle, the less you can fit into it.

• Larry4pyro

The Workhorse/VT Hackney entry is based on the Workhorse W-15 extended range electric truck. This propulsion system is modular so it can be configured for all of the cases you mention. Let me explain. The most elaborate configuration consists of two traction motors, a 60 KWH battery and an ICE driven range extender. This configuration could be used for long range rural delivery requiring 4WD. If 4WD isn’t necessary one of the two motors can be eliminated to make the truck RWD. If the route is less than 80 miles the range extender can be eliminated and powered in single for dual motor configuration for RWD or 4WD as required. I don’t believe any other the other entries can be reconfigured as much. By far the most common configuration will be 2WD without a range extender.

• michael limmer

You don’t live where it snows do you? The Promaster, FFV, LLV have been terrible in snowy areas on side streets that may get cleared one or twice a season.

10. Teresa

My question is….did an actual letter carrier have any input to the design in these new trucks? I drove 2 different kinds in my 30 years and neither one was carrier friendly. Let the ” mailman” design it

• Knial

I also drove two postal vehicles and we letter carriers had no imput about the design. Looks like no imput here either! I would vote for the Oshkosh/Ford. None look conducive for mail delivery.

• DJ

If you read the articles… Carriers have been using the prototypes since October… They are getting a lot of carrier input.

• Bpw

Your absolutely right! Don’t let mgt. have any input just have them sign the check. After all they like spending money.

11. Barry

Instead of buying new trucks they should try making sure they can deliver mail like they should. I sent a certified letter 10 days ago and it hasn’t been delivered yet. Plus there’s no way to contact customer service. Says their email is down and you can’t find a phone number that you are able to talk to a real person. Plus they raise rates and provide worse service. Go figure, I’m going to start sending by UPS AND FEDX. At least I can get some service thru them

• Weasel

Thanks for complaining about somerhing that has nothing to do with the topic. And who cares?

• Francis

Certified Mails are “certified” that’s why they have a tracking number… maybe there’s a book for idiots out there somewhere on how to track mail and packages using such tracking numbers to find out where the item was last scanned… go to http://www.usps.gov on-line

12. Dundee

The Hackbey/Workhorse seems like the best option. The electric with gas back up lasts 100 miles. What mail truck is driving more then 100 miles? Also has a drone option for rural deliveries. I’ve heard the electric version is much better with maintenance costs over the long term.

13. Robert Ocasio

With parcel counts getting higher with Amazon, the Workhorse and Am General won’t do. I personally like the Oshkosh/Ford truck.

• Bpw

Not good for curb delivery. Pro master is a good example! Plus it’s ugly cheap looking.

14. Debbie Riskus

Oshkosh looks like it could carry a good amount of mail/packages and looks close to ground for the carriers Getting in/out! Hope you make good choice for workers and manufactured in the USA

15. Matt

Workhorse/Hackney.. the average USPS vehicle travels 16 miles/day. Electric seems like the smartest choice

16. Tish

Need pics of the inside! Are there shelves? Can you stand up in the back? How well does the heater work? Are any of them 4×4 capable? I need to know these things before I can vote on any of them!

• Jdjd

Absolutely! I don’t care how they look! What is the setup like inside? Is the forward tray adjustable? How do the trays fit? Will the seat last more than 9 months? These are the things we should be lookiing at!

• Uncle Sam

“Mary Brown”, LMAO. Look Sujata or Sandeep or whomever, it’s great to support your company, but just say say and take pride in what you’ve built.

17. derick

I agree that it should be American so that brings it down to 1 of 3. The ford entry is just their normal cargo van. They could of bought that already any time but did not. Why because its to big and the mirrors stick out to far. Remember they go door to door to mail boxes. This thing will SUCK for that and any tight spaces that many have to turn around in each day would not work. Most of the post office daily business is mail box to mail box business. The AM Gen looks like the LLV just 2.0. It would be a good pick IF they did not need more room for going E- Commerce business. The VT/Workhourse looks to fit the bill the best and for those that say the all electric will not work in rural area’s… If its based on the w-15 platform as they say it has a gas generator after 80 miles that kicks in for up to 300+ miles (or unlimited if you refill). So it would still work for the 4% of mail carriers that go over 40 miles in a day. That is Right 96% of USPS trucks drive 40 miles or less a day according to greatbusinessschools.org. Even if that site is wrong and its 100% more 96% do 80 miles in a day that would still be all with out gas with the VT/Workhorse bid.

And for those that like the KARSAN/MORGAN bid. Think of what will happen to all that rubber in the sun (since they are never in garages) after a couple years. USPS needs lower cost from maintenance, more room for packages, better ergonomics for drivers and to be better for the environment (why they are replacing the fleet according to USPS’s own words on their site). That rubber is going to fall apart and crack (dry rot manly cause by UV sunlight) that is high maintenance and rubber falling off and making it from oil is not green at all so that truck is a dumb choice.

• Francis

i agree with you with the VT Hackney/Workhorse a 100%. i’m a carrier and i judged based on maneuverability, getting in and out of tight spaces safely… because they have the CCA use my LLV since not everybody can operate a 2-ton safely.

18. Laurie

The Karsan looks too much like an armoured truck and someone might mistake for an armoured vehicle.

• John B

I said the same exact thing when I saw the Karsan. Looks like something SWAT would drive.

19. Bill

I do not think the outside matters more than what the ergonomics are inside the working compartment. Granted park and loop do not matter, but for us mounties, the inside is far more important in how it is designed. Based on this fact alone I can not vote for any of them without seeing the inner cab.

20. Charlie werther

Retired letter carrier votes for vehicle from Mahindra. Stay away from Ford prototype. Am general and vt hackney appear too small with increased emphasis on parcel delivery.

21. Rick

I would like to see and have more info on the inside,, is the floor flat for putting tubs next to seat, is the room under the tray next to driver, is there a place to store supplies? That’s the info I would like to know.

22. Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadoo

Those are some seriously ugly looking vehicles. Do they really expect us to believe they could not be made more aesthetically pleasing.?

23. Mia E Hinckley

I am a 28 year city letter carrier and I like the Oshkosh/Ford. I like the cargo space and the ability to stand in the rear. I would hope that there are an ample amount of shelves.

24. Bpw

The Mahindra is the vehicle! There see how easy that was. Better have A.C. and leg room for a person at least 6’5”.

25. David Lawrence

They will all be Required to be built in US- osh kosh is just a repurposed transit van that is too high for the hundreds of deliveries each day, am General is too small, Karsan is funky but looks functional, Mahindra looks OK and VT looks weird. Maybe the usps will pick multiple vehicles for the different types of delivery. I can’t believe they would order all from one source.. again.

26. Karon Grunwell

As a retired employee, I would have to say that I could not make a real determination until I drove the vehicle. Handling, blind spots, etc. play a major part in the selection. Safe, effecient & pratcial is what is needed.

27. George Busby

Do any of these have windows in the rear?
    What quality is the braking system? Drum or disk brakes?
    When does USPS plan to add mirrors to be able to see close behind the vehicle? What will that additional cost be?

• Randy

No windows in the back… the roll-up rear door is a required feature and I doubt anyone can engeneer a window in it. I think cameras are the way all the prototypes have addressed that.

28. GKHAN COBAN

Difficult weather conditions, broad roads and long distances for it looks good KARSAN. good gain.

29. scott

All Ford Transits for US market are rear wheel drive, that would suck in the snow.

• Randy

Oshkosh is most likely improving on the suspension/drive train of these vehicles since that is their specialty.

30. Gkhan C.

difficult conditions wide roads for long distances, the karsan looks fine.

31. Bill Smith

Now as a retired L/C, we need to see the inside. Personally I could not care less what the outside looks like. I need to see the functionality of the inside.

32. Muru

Mahindra would be the best choice. Good size, Loaded with features, Good Looking, Truly Rugged, Built in the USA.

33. Can Toksöz

Karsan should win it. Looks really mean and most practical.
    Karsan seems like Scarlett Johansson. Perfect size, perfect body, useful and beauty.

34. Debra Allen

Need A/C, great heater, intermittent wipers, easier access to interior, airbags, windows all around and especially the rear, back door that doesn’t have to be rolled up or down, shelves, vehicle that doesn’t have to be shut off, parking break on and wheels curbed every single time you get out, outside compartments for DPS and trays of flats so you don’t have to put them in the back with parcels on top of them, adjustable seats, windows that can be adjusted so you aren’t getting soaked putting mail in boxes in the rain, radio, lights that shine only on the mail tray so you can deliver in the dark and still see the outside surrounding instead of using overhead light, adjustable exterior light that shines on mailbox for delivery after dark, better headlights….any vehicle that can provide these things (for starters) will get my vote.

35. J Colvin

You’d have to compare the trucks feature to feature for a true evaluation. The AM General having a shorter wheel base would be more maneuverable for driving routes which is a big factor. If the truck cant get in and out around the parked cars etc. it’s not going to work.

36. Weasel

Anything smaller than an llv/ffv is pointless. That takes care of 2 choices. The other three doesnt matter as long as a v6, 4×4, and parcel room are there. Keep it tech free, it just means more issues to fix. And ac… we have gone without it this far. In the first year, people will exhaust their ac, which will be an added cost… like the promaster. And just remember if you dont like this job, feel free to quit. Plenty of others who want it. Just my 2 cents. Couldnt care less if you like it or not.

• Kris

Lots of people want the job but more than half that apply can’t pass the background checks or drug checks. My post office hired 15 people pending background and drug test 3 of us made it. It’s like that all the time. Also a lot of people are hired but then quit cause they can’t handle the job.

37. Gaurang Mehta

I would vote for Mahindra as I have worked and also drove Mahindra vehicles. USPS guys will be unexpectedly happy to drive it daily.

38. KEVIN KAMINSKI

The Mahindra truck has been engineered specifically for the postal service, and offers several different variants, i.e.; 2WD, 4WD, Start/Stop, Mild Hybrid, Short Wheelbase and Long Wheelbase. All engineered by Amercians, and majority of the parts are American made and/or sourced. Besides, it is the best looking! BTW, my opinion is objective, even though I do work at Mahindra, and have done much design work on this truck!

• Randy

Right, You sound “Objective” to me… Lets wait for the test results and the “Total Cost of Ownership” numbers before anointing a winner…
      Wait that is what is happening. 🙂

• dfhttht

If they go for the big ones, Mahindra is indeed better than Ford; after all, it’s the only one that respects the classical outline of the parcel delivery vehicle and, from this point of view, is “the most American”. On the other hand the Post could choose the smaller guys for a better optimization (at least in the cities). The real criteria shouldn’t be the shelves (you can rearrange them) but the weight optimization, in my opinion. I wish GM was more practical, especially now when they need so much these money, but I think they wanted to be the smallest to grab the jackpot for this case.. And the last observation is this – any winner besides GM and Ford might need to subcontract, maybe even to another competitor or anyone else in the field. And from this point of view GM is the favorite, even if they lose the auction – they will work cheap and fast to take as many orders as possible. So talk to them, just in case! This will “Americanize” a bit the offer.

39. Roy burnham

I really believe we should invest in “Buy American”! I casted my vote for the Oshcosh/Ford but don’t care for the non electric version. There should be Electric primary mover with small American engine ( Not a BMW) to drive the generating gear. Further, the charging stations must be non proprietory special charging units. Oshcosh has been around for many years, as has Ford but unlike the failed “Hummmer” piece of crap. Being an Air Force 25 year veteran, give me a piece of equipment that will treat me right. Buy American then HIRE VETERAN’S TO DRIVE IT. Don’t be bashful. You’ll be out of office before the specified end life of the vehicle chosen!
    God Bless America.
    🇱🇷

40. Jeanette

I cannot vote for any of these. My rt is 87+ miles and very rural. I need clearance from the road and some roads I travel on are a lane and 1/2 wide. I also need visibility. Each route is unique. No one vehicle works for all.

41. Michael L Battaglia

I recommend the Ford/Oshkosh configured for Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG operation. This CNG capability is pennies added to cost and makes the vehicle capable of using clean, abundant and domestically produced natural gas. If Natural gas is no available at a service area, the vehicle will operate on gasoline/

42. B.S.Vasudevan

Go with Mahindra. It’s all New in Style and Loaded with Technology. Very good Looking. Styled, Designed and to be Manufactured in US for US

43. Deva Kumar

I will vote for Mahindra . USPS guys will be happy to use it daily

44. Mukesh Thakur

None other than Mahindra’s truck. One can easily see the way it’s been Design and space for Cabin as well as Storage.
    Perfect for Postal Services…!!!

45. Pushkar

I will vote for Mahindra as Mahindra is known for their strong design

46. Jimmy Johnson

Mahindra only practical design. Most of them are too small or ugly

• I Can't Say

They all have the same basic sizes … there is a “small” and a “large”, a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive version of each. The “small” and the “Large” both have a minimum volume (cubic feet). The visual difference in the photos is because they are of different “versions” but each company submitted 4 basic designs – some more because of hybrid/non-hybrid powertrains.

47. Matt Maschinot

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, is the effect of an electronic drive train, in start/stop situations, on the driver. No matter how smooth an automatic transmission is, start and stop driving is going to lead to driver discomfort. When you are dealing with an electric drivetrain, there is no transmission, and therefore a more comfortable driving. Look at how people describe driving in stop and go traffic in a vehicle with an electric drivetrain, such ass a Prius, and you will see what I mean.

48. Richard Wick

Give me each for a week, then I can make an intelligent decision…
    I am a T-6 that does a 100% walking route, a 100% curb line route and a 90% scootering route…

49. GERARDO CLAIRE

How about letting ACTUAL letter carriers have a say so in designing an vehicle that would actually help a carrier do their job more efficiently, we all know that P.O. will NEVER GO for comfort so there goes an a/c-heater, so we’ll have to go with efficient, but economically design. The LLVs, FFV, the Caravan, and the Promaster were all designed by people the NEVER carried mail, don’t even know how we need to load a vehicle, or what we would need in the front or back of it to help get the job done.

• I Can't Say

Actually there was a lot of carrier input into the requirements and the design.

50. Test and Evaluate daily!

I work where they are being tested and have driven most of them. Don’t judge by the pictures or the limited information given. They are all basically the same size with the same cargo and cabin capacity as dictated by the USPS requirements. All have a gas engine, hybrid or even full electric being tested. All offer 2 wheel, 4×4, or AWD variants depending on where they will be used. My favorite is the AM General one! It’s FAST, has cup holders, comfortable suspension seat for long driving times, 12v outlets, 360 degree situational awareness, back-up parking sensors and camera, air bags, Bluetooth for phone, a strong heater and great A/C for the cabin (gets weaker if you leave the pass thru open). It also has a super tight turning radius which I would think is important to a mail carrier. The windshield is massive and wrapped with no blind spots (important). From what I can tell it’s very fuel efficient too (especially the hybrid version). The only thing missing is a step at the rear cargo and a handle but I heard the USPS did not want that at all. Easy to ad later if they change their mind. If I was a postal carrier I would want this vehicle for sure.

• JasonB

How about the Workhorse one? Does it offer a better driving experience with regenerative brake in the stopping/starting situation?

• I Can't Say

I know a bit about the AM General entry and it is a great one. There was a lot of thought and planning put into its design and it has a ton of features that you may not be able to see – like an advanced all aluminum chassis and a powertrain that – as you say – will make it very “peppy”. I’m still not allowed to say much more than that – but I can tell you I’m hoping it wins because it brings a lot of value to the table

51. Frank M. Medina

We should stay with an American auto maker. That’s good for Americans. They need to create and build a vehicle to the needs of the USPS. We need to get letter carriers into the decision making, and maybe even the design as well.

52. Mabry Anderson

I vote for the AM General because it’s space capacity and midsize design is similar to the old Grumman LLV that makes me dub the name “Grumman LLV II” for 21st century as the second generation.

53. Craig

I think Oshkosh based on the idea that out in rural america there is a lot of high wind situations and their design is more aerodynamic thus most fuel economic.

54. Sheri P

I’m a L/C with driving route. I vote for Anyone BUT Mahindra. You can sure tell they are desperate for this contract, given their whole design staff of this vehicle has commented on this website. I think the profits from the sale of these vehicles would be reinvested in the US if the USPS picked a truly American company. Mahindra might build them in the U.S., but those profits will be taken back to India for sure. Buy American, you know India, China and every other country does that for its own manufacturing base, we should too. I’m proud to be with the USPS, I hope they do the right thing!

55. Doug

Let me clear a few of few misconceptions up. Whatever vehicle the USPS picks will be built in America. In fact, Mahindra is building or already built a plant https://www.mahindraautomotivena.com/ This is where the above vehicle will be built. But, the USPS also states it has to be built in the USA. It can be a foreign company but has to be built here in USA.

If any of the vehicles are NOT being tested in the north where there is snow and ice, then its a flawed test. I don’t care who is testing it. That said, if I had to pick blind on which vehicle would operate best for the lowest possible price, I would pick the Mahindra. It was built and designed on a Jeep Cj3. However, now it is more a Jeep CJ7. So it has 2wd or 4wd abilities.

Batteries are great for the city or city based small routes. Winters are hell on batteries and 500 stop starts in 4wd mode would really kill them.

The interior is the second most important thing here. Driver comfort and safety. Rural Carriers can spend 8 hours sitting in that seat. It better be comfortable and safe!

As for looks who cares.

56. Mitch Bagalanon

I’m a Rural Letter Carrier from Illinois. We need SPACE for parcels!! All wheel drive would be nice. Still has to be maneuverable like the current LLV’s. Electric seems nice but I don’t see them retrofitting every post office with plug in stations, gas/electric maybe. With all this blabber my vote is AM General but they need to make the cargo area BIGGER than the pics.

57. steve robbins

we as a country need to look into other means to power or vehicles gasoline is over 100 years old its time to get with the program and do something more cleaner for the WORLD

58. Francis

59. Fedexups

How about instead we just get rid of the USPS entirely? They are the slowest and least effective mail service, theres a reason FedEx and UPS are crushing the usps. It’s old, slow and far too expensive for tax payers to keep these bloated salaries for incompetent employees. Tell your congressman no more usps! Enough is enough! No more usps fed employees sucking our tax dollars dry. They cant compete with the private sector so why do we have to keep them afloat? It’s called capitalism… if bad at what you do you go under.. let’s cut the cancer that is the usps out

60. JJ

Hybrid will be perfect fit for operation around entire country. My vote is for Karsan/Morgan Olson

61. Postal worker c

The AM General or the Oshkosh should win this contract . There both cost effective for the USPS. Both are solidly built and have drivetrains that have been in use for awhile. No one needs more training in the vmf, and you don’t need to start putting charging ports at every post office . There both American companies . No foreign investment necessary which is important in today’s political environment. I do like the am general a bit better than the Oshkosh. I have seen a few of the Ford transits that seem to have a wide turning radius. Parking could be a nightmare as well. Start/ stop technology will save fuel cost , but a mild hybrid with a 4 cylinder engine would be best. Both these options could be made available in the final contract negotiation. No matter what the USPS chooses it will be better than the old outdated LLV.

62. Tom from Wisconsin

Looking at htis from an outsider and reading some of the posts listed here, I like the fact that we have an overwheling feeling that it needs to be built in the USA by an American company. Next, I hope that the prototyes that are out there being driven by our postal workers give some feedback to help represent all you folks that do this for a living although we all know, we all can’t have everything we want. Lastly, the Workhorse version seems to be the tied with the Oshkosh for the best. Perhaps it makes the most sense to have both of these companies build 50% each and that way, you don’t have all your eggs in one basket.

63. Nancy

The Am general or Mahindra both seam to be ok. As a current rural carrier I would like to see some sort of ventilation windows in the rear cargo area. (Better than the ones in the current LLV’s). Those trucks get hot!! You don’t go fast enough to get any kind of circulation in them and the temperature ranges close to 20° hotter than the outside temperature.

64. Jeremy

As a current city carrier my vote would be for the Karsan or Mahindra. The Oshkosh is great size wise. But they are very similar to the promasters we use now, and the have a horrible ride, no maneuverability, and horrible in the snow. We need something similar to the llv but with more cargo space and better efficiency.

65. James

I’ve been a postal carrier for over 20yrs it would be nice if the usps steps up and thinks about it’s employees. We’re human not robots it would be nice to have AC” in the next truck they build over “V6” motors they wasted in the production of the FFV and bad intieror concept on that one they wasted a lot of money on that one. I thought safety is number 1 goal. Being able to go home at the end of the day not dying of a heat stroke should be the number 1 goal.

66. jr 23

i see merits in all but if e commerce is going to continue the smaller ones will be too small am looks only taller the oshkosh and th morgan are the larger ones and both have deliver truck experience oshkosh designed the freight liner step van but the usps might be smarter to buy several types that could fit specific localities rather than 1 size fits all.and cng would be a great choice ford builds them i doubt if start stop would benefit in suburban 10-20 houses a block back not too long several co built perfect size 7 and 8 ft half ton step vans in both steel and aluminum ih chev gmc ford and dodge all had them chev p 10 aka step van 7 and 8 company could sell r drive for po and left t commercial co who need light tk

67. Raymond Ramirez

My father was a mailman/mail carrier from the 1960’s to the 1980’s (about twenty years). Most of the vehicles he drove were the right-hand drive Jeeps and once drove the Grumman van. He knew about the inefficiencies of stopping and starting the vehicle at every mail station/mailbox, and he learned how to drive better to save on gas.

He knew that the USPS was testing electric vehicles, and was very interested in driving one. So I vote for the U.S. made VT Hackney/Workhorse van which is an electric vehicle with a gas engine range extender. On my father’s routes (which I knew because I rode with him to deliver over 1000 U.S> Census forms in 1970) the total range was less than 30 miles, so I believ he would never needed to burn any gasoline, and a fully electric vehicle would have serve him quite well.

Add the saving benefits of low or no gasoline purchasing and extremely low maintenance, and the VT Hackney/Workhorse vehicle will be the real winner, riding clean and quietly around all the homes the USPS mail carrier will attend every week.

68. Jackson

I see the workhorse isn’t getting many votes, which is a shame; the life of a mail van is start off and stop, start off and stop, all along it’s route. I can tell that the mail is coming from a block away: Vroom … Vroom … Vroom … Full regeneration should outperform other options on this list handily for energy cost, and it’s quiet. The low-maintenance aspect of a true electric should pay dividends moving forward that the other candidates could only dream about. Finally, it’s US made for the USPS.

I wish GM had made a delivery vehicle out of the 238-mile-range Bolt. Perhaps they will.

69. Cico Rico

Ford is big…too big. That is not UPS or FedEx, is the mail. Plus, it has a boring factor. The mail truck should be like the ice cream truck or like the golf car – an event! And as cheap as possible. also. As I see, there are two classes: big ones – Ford and Mahindra and small ones – the other three. I see much propaganda for Ford and that’s another reason to skip it – let the Post out of reach for the Mafia interests! Competition is good – it lowers the price and raises the quality.