Ford Recalls 1.5 Million F-150 Trucks for Transmission Defect

February 13, 2019 by Jerry Hirsch, @Jerryhirsch

Ford Motor Co. will recall nearly 1.5 million older F-150 pickup trucks because they could unexpectedly shift into first gear.

The problem has created five crashes, including one report of a vehicle occupant sustaining a whiplash neck injury that could be linked to the defect.

The automaker said Wednesday that all of the trucks are from the 2011-13 model years. They are equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission that can lose the electronic signal from the transmission output speed sensor to the powertrain control module. This can cause the transmission to downshift into first gear.

“Depending on vehicle speed, a downshift to first gear without warning could result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash,” Ford said.

The recall covers about 1.26 million trucks in the United States and approximately 221,000 in Canada.

The truck is the best-selling vehicle of any type in the U.S. Ford doesn’t break out sales of F-Series trucks by model, but the company sold more than 900,000 in the U.S. last year. Analysts estimate that at least two-thirds of those sales were F-150 pickups.

Ford will ask owners to take their trucks to dealers, where technicians will update the powertrain control module software in the affected vehicles. Owners taking their vehicles in for the repair should note that the Ford reference number for this recall is 19S07.

The automaker also issued a smaller recall for select 2019 Ford Mustang, Lincoln Nautilus and Lincoln Navigator vehicles. The instrument panel cluster won’t activate upon startup In some of these vehicles.

Ford said is not aware of any reports of crashes or injuries resulting from that defect.

This action affects approximately 4,200 vehicles in the United States and 150 in Canada.

Read next: Ford Recalls New 2019 Ranger for Transmission-Shifting Defect

1. Mark Schneider

I have a 2015 F150 with 6 speed transmission. I have had this same problem happen. Driving in 4th. or 5th gear and transmission geared down to 1st gear. Almost caused an accident. This recall needs to be expanded to include this model year.

Mark Schneider

• Mark buther

Did you have any progress my 2013 just broke spitting fluid everywhere and I don’t know what to do

2. Brandon

I have a 2011 eco boost, I took it in two days ago to have the recall for the speed output sensor fixed but I still have the same hard down shift into first gear what should I do

• Steve

I had the software upgrade recall done and still had problem also! $800 to replace valve body sensor. The first dealership wanted $1200.

• Marilyn Young

I still have a problem with my 2013 F150 and now they are saying it has nothing to do with the recall but why did it start to shudder after they worked on it.

3. Keith W

I had the recall letter for my 2013 F-150 6-speed, but it said I’d be notified when the software fix was available (supposedly will take a few months?). A few days ago my 17 year old was driving at 55mph and it shifted directly to 1st gear, locking up the rear wheels and skidding to a stop. He somehow maintained control and said he felt like he would have gone through the windshield if not wearing his seatbelt. Took it to the dealership that afternoon and they’re telling me 5th gear is cracked and that I’ll be responsible for the $3500-5000 repair – ridiculous!

4. Nicole

I think they need to look into some of the older models to we have a 2007 and I think our truck is doing the same thing. Once in a while our excelerator pedal sticks and makes the truck rev up while you are stopped. I have been looking for recalls for a while and haven’t found anything for our 2007.

5. Jerry

When are they going to recall my 2013 f150 For the transmission my truck just locked up we going 70 miles an hour and it goes down to first gear almost killed me this is a bunch of BS called for dealership they said we have to wait two more months for recall

• Robert Stewart

I have the 3.5 motor and still waiting . They have come up with program to fix other motor types .. thinking I should have bought a Dodge

6. Robert Stewart

Ford told me the same thing and I told them my truck is already doing the down shift and also noticed the speedometer goes to zero when having issues . No check engine light on

• Marilyn Young

My 2013 did same way no check engine light on. After 1st visit to Ford took 15 minutes to do what ever they did. The second time I took it back cause the wrench lit up and it locked like the paper said. They worked on it again , I left and it started shuddering. Took it back for a 7:30 appt. . Went to pick it up after 5:00 and they hadn’t touched it. Then the guy said he put a lubercant in the transmission. Well it’s still not right and I’m having it checked at auto service center I trust.Ford here is a hoax.