The Tesla Semi is a Class 8 electric truck with production planned for 2019.
The truck will start at an expected base price of $150,000 for a 300-mile range battery. Trucks with a 500-mile range battery will be priced from $180,000. The first 1,000 semis will be labeled “Founder’s Series” and start at $200,000.
Reservations for the truck are $20,000. Founder’s Series models require the full $200,000. The Tesla Semi’s height, weight, length, battery capacity and construction materials all remain undisclosed at this time.
Based on the prototype trucks shown, the Tesla Semi is expected to feature sleek styling. There are few protrusions. Only side mirrors and a pair of cameras are mounted to the cab.
The Tesla Semi is expected to run on a global network of solar-powered “megachargers” that do not currently exist. Details for the logistics of the megachargers have not been released. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said that megacharger use will cost 7 cents per kilowatt.
The Tesla Semi will feature Enhanced Autopilot technology. On Tesla passenger cars, Enhanced Autopilot includes self-driving capabilities that can steer the vehicle around corners and keep it in its lane. It can match speed to traffic conditions, decelerate down to a stop and begin again when traffic moves. It can change lanes and exit freeways without driver input.
When grouped together, Tesla Semis will be capable of “platooning.” This allows multiple trucks to connect to one another digitally and follow at close distances for improved safety and fuel efficiency.
What are the known Tesla Semi specifications?
(Specific Tesla Semi specifications depend upon the model)*
- Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:5 seconds
- Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph with an 80,000-pound load:20 seconds
- Top speed on a 5 percent grade:65 mph
- Battery range:300 or 500 miles
- Powertrain:Four independent motors on rear axles
- Energy consumption:Less than 2 kWh/mile
- Estimated operating costs:$1.26 per mile
- Estimated fuel savings:$200,000+
- Expected base price (300-mile range):$150,000
- Expected price (500-mile range):$180,000
- Expected price (Founder’s Series):$200,000
- Base reservation:$20,000
- Founder’s Series reservation:$200,000
*does not include Chassis Cab models